Old 10-10-22, 09:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
...First question is whether or not there’s some obscure French track taper that differs from the norm. I assume no. It’s just odd that my Stronglight and TA arms sit so differently on the same taper. That’s my starting point.

Noted that I should just install the bb and really crank down on the crank arm fixing bolts to full torque to see where I land. I’ve been wrong plenty of times, so hopeful for a pleasant surprise I’ll say.
I didn't mention the spindle dimensions of the old TA taper in my earlier post, but it's relatively big/thick for an old European taper.
It's still at least 0.05mm smaller than a JIS taper, but it's at least 0.05mm thicker than an old Campagnolo taper and so is about 0.15mm thicker than old Stronglight or ISO taper.

So I am assuming that it must be your Stronglight arms which don't engage the spindle as far as your TA arms(??).