Old 10-12-22, 12:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The Japanese make great frames. My first "good" bike was a Centurion, and I lusted after the 1985 Dura-Ace equipped Prestige--still probably the best-looking bike I've ever seen.

That said, the subject of this thread asks what are the Japanese equivalents of Colnago/Cinelli/Masi in terms of quality-status-pedigree.

We know the quality is there. But status and pedigree? I don't think any Japanese bike can yet measure up to many of the Italian marquees in these categories.
Plenty of examples have been given. We just happen to live in the USA where we think our opinions are the only ones that matter. Go to another part of the world and the opinion could be different.

BTW, I have an 85 Prestige. Rides about like the rest of the bikes in my stable. And the Dura Ace 7400, you either love it or don't. Built for one purpose. Not very versitale and doesn't really work with anything else.

Which brings us to my 72 Condor. Every bit the pedigree/mystique of the Cinelli SC you covet, but English. You know what, it rides about like the 85 Prestige and the rest of the bikes in my stable.

Last edited by seypat; 10-12-22 at 12:28 PM.