View Single Post
Old 10-14-22, 06:51 PM
elmo449

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Is there a reason why you don't want discs? Just curious.

There is a reason you don't find new touring bike with cantis. Having lived with both cantis and discs I find discs superior in just about all ways. I have found the braking power and feel better and the maintenance less frequent. Also I have worn out quite a few rims with rim brakes over the years, This doesn't happen with disc brakes.

As was mentioned there are plenty of slightly older models to choose from if that is your preference.
There are just a few minor annoyances with discs that add up and leave me wanting to try the other options. The main one is noise. I've had 3 disc brake bikes, and I could not get any of them to be quiet consistently. I've tried cleaning and replacing pads and rotors, and had bike shops look at them. On a tour I don't bother to carry cleaning supplies, so I end up just putting up with it. Also, the disc is an extra step if I need to replace a broken spoke or pack the bike. I get that disc gives better braking, but I don't think the difference is that large, and I'm not riding aggressively on a loaded touring bike anyway. I've also been reading good things about wheels like the Ryde Andra, designed for heavily loaded rim braking, and I'm honestly curious to try them (and other rim related products) and see if the reputation is deserved, or just good marketing. I'm not really worried about wearing out rims, but maybe that's a lesson I need to learn the hard way