View Single Post
Old 10-15-22, 08:04 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I agree with all the sentiment surrounding the Cyclone M2. My only problems with it are the super heavy return spring, which doesn't play well with retrofriction levers, large chain gap because it was designed for freewheels which had bigger smallest cogs, and the inability to do more than 8 speeds without modification. I've successfully modified mine to do 9, but it shifts somewhat badly on the small cogs because of its large chain gap, and generally has a hard time of it all.

I think that is one benefit of the Superbe Pro over the Cyclone M2: better set up for smaller cogs and a wider swing for more cogs. It does come at the expense of a couple tens of grams. I really like friction shifting modern cassettes, though, so it probably makes sense for me. For a freewheel, the Cyclone M2 is perfect - but you're probably gaining all the weight you saved on the derailleur, by using a freewheel.