View Single Post
Old 10-18-22, 01:19 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The modern crop of aero road bikes aren't really uncomfortable; a friend of mine rides an Aeroad and we ride up to a hundred+ km together when our training schedules align. I ride an aero bike (which we joke looks like it was built by the same factory in China because of how similar the frames look) and it's comfortable basically all day. A lot of absorbing road buzz is down to the tire pressure, tires and wheels, as well as the saddle. Granted, roads in my country are actually reasonably good - I know a guy who says he doesn't run anything smaller than 28c in Ireland running 25c here.

Comfort is also hugely related to a good fit on the bike, though, and that's one thing where the Aeroad and the Ultimate - which share a very similar geometry - might be too racing oriented for someone who doesn't spend a lot of time on the bike and isn't young, and an Canyon Endurace might be a better fit.

For instance, looking at my size (S in Canyon's sizing - I'm 179 cm tall), the Aeroad and Ultimate have a reach of 390mm (that's how far the handlebars are from the bottom bracket axis) and a stack of 539 and 542mm respectively (that's how high the handlebars are). That's a pretty "long and low" position - good for racing and it's comfortable for me (my current bike is very similar at 381mm / 538mm) without spacers under the stem, but I suspect the Endurace which in the same size has a reach of 375 and stack of 568 is probably going to fit most people a bit better (except the handlebar width, where the Ultimate's narrower bar is more appropriate to the actual sizing of the bike).

Fit questions aside, between weight and aero I'd always go with the aero unless I was strictly racing up hills.