View Single Post
Old 10-19-22, 07:26 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a bike from TPC in Feb 2020 and had a great experience. Their prices were reasonable at that time (maybe 10% higher than comparable Craigslist/Pinkbike prices) and they were running a 15% sale at the time. I bought a very high end 2018 bike that had obviously been someone's dream bike build. My bike probably cost whoever built it initially over $15K. I paid less than $5k. That's obviously expensive for a used bikes and I wanted to make sure I knew exactly what I was getting. TPC answered all of my questions immediately, sent me extra pictures and had plenty of patience. I even spoke to one of their mechanics about the bike on the phone. After I ordered, the bike was mailed immediately and came out of the box looking essentially brand new. I love this bike, it's not something you can just walk into a bike shop and buy, it's a work of art. Also, it rides incredibly and fits me perfectly.

So, in pre-pandemic times, I think TPC offered an appealing prospect. They sold high end bikes you were relatively assured would be in good working order, would be shipped quickly and would be as described. They even promised to buy the bike back in the future if it turned out you didn't like it. You paid a ~10% premium for these assurances, which seemed reasonable.

However, during the pandemic all of this went off the rails. The prices on TPC went through the roof. They stopped selling so many unique or desirable bikes for enthusiasts, it seemed like all they had were used stock Specialized bikes (or whatever) at outrageous prices. I understand this was the reality of market at the time but they became an option only for those desperate for a bike.

Their prices have definitely returned to more manageable levels over the past few months, but they are still inflated. Also,their stock has EXPLODED over the past few months as they have begun to buy up all of the panic-bought Covid bikes.

With burgeoning inflation sapping everyone's disposable income and the increasing likelihood of a recession next year, demand is certainly going to continue to fall. Meanwhile all of the backordered 2021 and 2022 bikes will be pouring into the supply chain as manufacturing capacity starts to normalize. TPC is going to end up holding the bag. IMO, they need to drop their prices by a further 20-30% to start reflecting market realities. We'll see.