cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
Good point. But let us remember that electric bicycles (with the possible exception of the “pedal-assist bikes” are actually motorcycles,
Legally questionable in states that have established the Class 1/2/3 classification system for pedal assist and throttle assist. By law, they're neither a bicycle nor a motorcycle; they're an electric bicycle. It's a new vehicle entirely - no reason why we should insist on shoehorning them into existing definitions. That's the whole reason the new definitions exist.

I wouldn't be against Class 1/2 being reduced to 15mph if this compromise could help find middle ground between those who can't stand e-bikes and those who benefit from them. 15 is more or less the top cruising speed the average commuter can achieve on a half-decent analog hybrid or IGH city bike with no motorized assist, so it's a fair balance; anything else boils down to the general lack of etiquette (thank you, USA - you're still the Wild West).

Originally Posted by Inisfallen
Just look at the article. For example, one reason cited was "getting children to school." Believe me, I spent years getting three small children to school in the morning. I wasn't doing it on a bicycle, and that's not because I'm lazy. It's because it's impossible.
Are we still talking about the study, or another article that was interjected since?

Either way, one's own personal scenario isn't necessarily reflective of others - so while riding to school may be out of the question for you, it may not for others. There are also many families that can, do and would ride if the infrastructure existed. They may have fewer or older children, and live in an area that provides a shorter or more conducive route. Put simply, it's not impossible.

There are some great examples of this concept on an extremely popular level - far exceeding the average - if you look up the bike trains that Sam Balto has helped lead. He's a PE teacher in Portland.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-23-22 at 10:39 AM.