Old 10-21-22, 06:20 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 174 Posts
Another PY-10FC Thread

Happy Autumn everybody. I have been in a French mood the last couple of months. After many years of neglect, I started riding my circa 1986 PX-10 and Vitus Carbone-7 and have been enjoying both of them, which got me surfing eBay, which was a mistake. Unfortunately, while surfing eBay, I came upon a Peugeot PY-10FC frameset missing most of its decals but for the "Fibre de Carbon" decal on the left side of the top tube. I also noticed the additional 1cm collars Peugeot added to the frame to accommodate the larger diameter carbon tubes they used when compared to the Vitus marketed version of the frame. Of course it was my size and I bought it. All kidding aside, this was a bike I lusted after when I was racing back during the last ice age in the 1980s, and i have been looking for one on and off for 30+ years.

The frame arrived at my door and was in excellent shape and appears not to have a lot of miles on it. I pulled the last few Spidel components out of my stash, and shuffled some components between the PX-10 and the Carbone-9. I was able to keep all three bikes French builds, but was aiming to build the PY-10FC as close as I practically could to the Peugeot Team bikes. I had to buy a Stronglight A9 headset and 25mm Simplex seat post, and bing-bang-boom here it is. I have some other parts I will eventually install like Weinmann brake lever hoods, but it is "fini" for now.

We are expecting our first major winter storm starting Saturday night in Western Colorado, and so after work this afternoon I got changed and squeezed in a 20 mile ride to shake the bike down. I need more time on it, but overall it is nice. I'm lucky to have a lot of nice bikes and I have learned there are many ways to build a nice bike out of steel, aluminum, titanium, or plastic! The tubular wheels are Fiamme Ergal rims with Kenda branded Veloflex 25mm tubular tires. Stronglight and Simplex Super LJ drivetrain; Weinmann Carrera brakes, Cinelli 1R stem and Giro Handlebars, Simplex seat post with Turbo SLG saddle. Weight as shown is 18.5 pounds. I need to give a shout-out to Chombi1 serving as my consultant over the course of the last couple of weeks. It was helpful to get his feedback as the bike came together. @Chombi and I also have some overlap in our collection between Peugeot, Vitus, and Gitane bicycles.... Great minds as they say! Ok time for some pics.