MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I think I drink more water than the average person, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "I can't stand water, because it has no taste". Luckily, I don't mind water having no taste, I still enjoy drinking it in lieu of some flavored drink -- I guess I'm just lucky that way.

However, there is a danger of drinking too much water, without proper nutrition, especially electrolytes. When I go on 3+ hour rides under the brutal Florida sun, in the middle of a summer day, I only take water. But that's because I eat a very healthy diet, much of which is grown in my yard. But if you are lacking in proper nutrition, drinking that much water, while at the same time sweating a river, this could be dangerous. It's a condition called Water Intoxication.

It's something us endurance types need to always be mindful of. Even non-endurance people need to be careful, see below, a lady died doing some radio contest ("Hold Your Wee for a Wii" competition).

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/jury-rule...ory?id=8970712
Happens distressingly often, notably with inexperienced athletes in endurance events. When I was a neurology resident, I took care of a young man, hospitalized with uncontrollable OCD, who got access to a sink without the staff noticing and drank himself into the ICU in a matter of hours. I can't remember if he survived.