Old 11-01-22, 05:23 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
When the weather gets too cold for shorts, it’s time to hang up the bike and take down my skis.
And ruin a perfectly good set of knees???

I kid. Kinda. Mostly. A friend of ours blew out her knee skiing 25 years ago. Avid cyclist. Her knee suffering has progressively gotten worse over the years. She'll need a new knee eventually. Friend of ours put off double knee replacement. Once he finally did it (double replacement at the same time - a glutton for punishment), he hit himself in the head and said, "Damn, I shoulda done that TEN years ago!" He was back skiing in no time and crushing it.

I've never really fallen for skiing like I thought I would. Probably because I suck at it. Well, not THAT bad, but I never learned properly when I was young. My wife is always yelling, "Pole plant, idiot!" I sometimes even listen!

Ironic I say this after playing 8 years of youth soccer. I've always felt my healthy, injury-free knees are the result of avid cycling before, during and after soccer.

In much of CA we never have to hang up the bikes. Just hop on the road when the trails are too soggy (not like that's very common these days). And then it's back to the trails!!!

Oh wait, I never even addressed the OP's post:

I'm a habitual knee warmer wearer. SF Bay Area fog necessitates it - and my knees are sensitive.

Oh and I also HATE sunscreen, so knee and arm sleeves are becoming my new normal. So I'm basically in "knee warmers" most of the time. Love 'em. Used to wear knickers but now much prefer knee warmers as they're easy on and off and can go with any shorts.

PS "Knickers" are really only undies in the UK. Everyone else around "here" understands what they are!!!

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 11-01-22 at 05:27 PM.