Old 11-02-22, 10:09 AM
McCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Did I mention we're 12 miles from the nearest - small - town.

Dirt and gravel, that's what we got.

Previous owner lived on top of a daunting hill. I'm guessing he snapped the axle as soon as he got here, ending it's life of "scenester" use in Seattle, complete with Evergreen College ID tag, that bastion of liberal excess, because excess is always liberal.

So I let the bike dude at the store sell me some Taiwan CycloCross Kenda tires, which are knobby, but I would have preferred Japan made Panaracers, although the Kenda's will indubitably grip better out here.

Mogrip! Odd reflective tape on rim, popular in urban settings? Rims cleaned up ok using insane amounts of elbow grease.

Pardon me Sir, do you have any Grey Poop on?

Broken axle and incorrect replacement axle. This axle turned out to be 3/8x126tpi.

Sugino tool I bought so long ago, I didn't know I had it, and if I knew I forgot what it was for.

Repaired lockring.

Frame serial.

Sugino bearing cone, incredibly stuck, hopefully compatible with the threads in the frame.

Super thin walled Proto 15mm socket got me into the crank arm, very little room. Old fashioned spanner/lockring remover was quite effective. Lockring had seen plenty of undoing abuse before I came along. Sugino Research 170mm cranks are beautiful. Pedals need to be relubed. The whole bike needs to be dismantled/repacked.