View Single Post
Old 11-02-22, 10:34 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
I don't know this ebayer, I am not this ebay seller, & I have never dealt with this ebayer.
I am saying I just saw this on ebay. It appears to be a KOOL LEMON circa early seventies SUPER SPORT in what appears to be 22 inch frame.
There is no wheelset shown there. It currently has zero bids with a starting bid of nine dollars ninety-nine cents, shipping cost seems reasonable.
Bidding ends early on Thurs Nov 3rd.
Might be a reasonable frame as a starting project. Decals aren't too good.
Just a heads up in case anybody is seeking a YELLOW 22 inch...... I HAVE NOT SEEN IT IN PERSON! I've only seen the ebay listing a few minutes ago.
I don't know anything about it & I do not know the seller, and I have never dealt with this ebay seller. His/her's EBAY % rating does appear good.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255797075420

Just a bit of information: SINCE THAT Super Sport IS MISSING THE WHEELS, should anyone go for that otherwise complete 22 inch Yellow frame, my suggestion would be to then just obtain the MODEL J (shimano built) freewheel from the 1970 - 1977 COLLEGIATE & 1970 - 1976 SUBURBAN five speed (***NOT the 10 speed!!!!!***)
Why? Because the gear cogs on that freewheel is the same as what the SUPER SPORT had in 1971. **32----26----21----17----14
I think that you will find that the SUPER SPORT featured that throughout the bike boom era and remainder of the seventies as long as it had the one piece 52/39 ashtabula crank of the Varsity.
You also want to get rid of the POS Huret rear derailleur. The shimano built Rear derailleurs from the 1970 - 1976 Suburban FIVE speed & 1970 -1977 COLLEGIATES are ten times better than that Huret rear derailleur. If not Shimano, then you'd definitely want to use a Maeda SUNTOUR rear derailleur that handles the 32teeth LOW GEAR cog. Huret is the best overall of the Europeans but it is still a far distant, second rate rear derailleur when compared to any rear derailleur from Shimano or SunTour.
So given that the oem wheelset appears gone, just scrounge up a quality aluminum used wheelset or a new aluminum wheelset, and then utilize the MODEL J freewheel from the Seventies era COLLEGIATES & FIVE SPEED SUBURBANS. **32----26----21----17----14.
Now, certainly you DON'T have to retain the original TEN SPEED configuration with the narrow axle spacing with an old timey freewheel with 5 cogs.
Having said that, remember that Maeda SUN TOUR also produced some very fine freewheels during the seventies with 5 cogs with a large 34teeth LOW GEAR COG.
For example, the MAEDA SUNTOUR PRO-COMPE 34 - 14 Freewheel might offer certain advantages if perhaps you are older than 40 years old and/or if you typically ride in an area with steep hills. Here is a random USED example of a Maeda Suntour Pro-Compe 34 - 14 freewheel that is currently on the bay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/334481483851

Anyway, whats not to like about a KOOL LEMON colored complete 22" circa 1972 super sport frame that assuming that just a sole bidder grabs it for the 9.99 bid, could have it show up at your doorstep for not much total cash outlay. It would make a neat winter project, if you don't already have an aversion to Chicago Schwinns. You cannot beat the one piece crank, and yet its geometry is different (angles are NOT as slack as Varsity/Continental/Suburban/Collegiates, etc), and it is NOT an electroforged frame, though it retains the great ole one piece crank hanger set, and it has the great Twin Stik (s) (s) stem shifters. Having that Twin Stik (s) (s) would allow you to make an upright Tourist rider if you wanted to. (BE FOREWARNED THOUGH THAT THE Varsities/Suburbans/Continentals/Collegiates etc RIDE BETTER IN UPRIGHT TOURIST FORM THAN THE SUPER SPORT DOES).
Likes For Vintage Schwinn: