View Single Post
Old 11-03-22, 07:37 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
Good guess with the "indian sounding name". Sorry for the delay in responding, i'd assumed i'll get an email when someone responds but it seems my settings were different...so I only saw all of this now! I am looking at having the troll for commuting, roaming about, and hopefully eventually touring. Why specifically the troll? Because I've read very good things about it, i don't want to ride fast, and I'd rather one bike that can do most of what I want - also I would like to build this bike up slowly and in a budget, so I like the option of having rim brakes to start with..
Originally Posted by chintanjadwani
I would not necessarily call it a good deal, but a dealer has some new frames still available here in India. And since the market is small, used deals are hard to come by.
Good 26" tires or rims are not common here, unlike the US. The jump in good bikes in the indian market started with 700c..although one can get lower quality 26 tires. Anyway, good quality 700 tires are expensive too because of import duties just that they are more readily available.
hey, no problem. The Troll certainly is a very versatile bike, that is why I specifically got one. I was lucky and found a used one years ago and it has had mountain bike handlebars, trekking bars and finally dropbars.
The big attraction to me was, and is, how it can take quite wide tires. From 2017 and 18 (when it was stopped being made) the frame change made it possible to put 3 inch tires front and back (with the right rims ) but even the older ones like mine, can easily take 2.5in, 2.8 up front--but I have never had wider than 2.5in tires on it, but t nearly always has tires from 1.5-2.1 inches for touring and whatever.

In the end, its just a bike, but it is a good, sturdy bike that can happen to be able to take really wide tires if thats something that is an interest.
I get wanting to build it up on a budget, as with any bike, you can get good quality parts at good prices and have a very functional bike that works really well, with 8, 9 speed or whatever, that can fit your budget and what you can either find in India or have shipped there, although dealing with import duties.
I'm in Canada, and good quality 26 rims are probably rare also, but lots of good tires are available, but I do realize that here in N. America, it is economically easier than for you, so more possible to get things, especially shipping from other countries.

good luck in your decisions

ps my rims are older style mountain bike rims that are right on the limit for taking 2.5 in tires, but I have had these same rims on it since I bought it, so have not had to try to find different replacement rims yet. I have toured a lot on this bike and the rims have held up quite well, despite slightly denting one in a small spot.

Last edited by djb; 11-03-22 at 07:40 AM. Reason: additional about rims