View Single Post
Old 11-03-22, 09:39 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
Man: 100, Seatpost: 0

So last week I bought a 2010 Kona Smoke in the form of a "Kit", i.e., frame and fork disassembled into parts in boxes. It was a great deal and all appeared to be there. There was just one problem: The seatpost was seized up in the frame. But the seller included a bunch of upgrades (drivetrain, mostly) and knocked $20 off the listed price because of the seatpost issue. I figured at worst I could sell the parts off to recoup my money, and at the best, I'd show that seatpost a thing or two and salvage the frame:

So after thinking about it a bit, and doing some research on the internets, I initially decided I was going to go the lye route and dissolve that mutha outta the frame. Yeah, its toxic, it emits flammable gas, and it ruins the paint. But it looked so easy and besides, science in action is pretty cool. But then I thought about it some more and decided against that route. Mostly because I didn't want to have to probably repaint the frame. So instead I made a tool to cut the seatpost into sections and peel it away from the ID of the seat tube:

Inside a section of the seatpost that I cut off, checking for fit.

Now why would I jump to the extreme of cutting the post without even trying any of the other, less involved methods? Firstly, the PO informed me he already tried them to no avail. Secondly, based on the amount of rust inside the head tube and bottom bracket, I doubted very highly that any of those less destructive methods would work. And, I had a new tool to try out, silly!

Unfortunately, the tool was manufactures to too close of tolerances, and would therefore bind up inside the seatpost. Not impossibly so, just enough to make it frustrating. But I'm bull-headed if nothing else, and forged ahead with great determination. The first cut probably took 2 hours of alternating between the homemade tool and another silly handheld hacksaw I found in the bottom of my toolbox. At about the 1 hour mark I had to remind myself why I thought it was a good idea to cut the post out rather than just find another frame (1 - its a Kona. 2 - its my size. 3 - with the Project 2 Fork in 700c/29" size, it could make a good "One Bike To Rule Them All". Plus, it was here in my garage. Bird in the hand, you know). At about 1:30 I was seriously questioning my sanity. But then the sun broke free of the clouds, the angels sang, and the 1st cut was done. Time to go in for some dinner.

With that major milestone, it was time to start on the second cut. I initially planned to make 4 cuts, but after the pain and suffering of the 1st, I decided 3 cuts would suffice. So after about another hour and a half, the second cut was done. And I could not resist the opportunity to extract some revenge on this stupid seatpost and its idiotic first owner who let it fall to this condition in the first place. With a big ole pair of lineman's pliers, I gave it a twist and a jerk and out came the 1st piece:

To be continued.....
Likes For Smokinapankake: