View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 05:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
The answer probably depends to some degree on what kind of fabric the jacket is made of. The breathable fabrics typically reply on at least two layers with different properties. One layer allows vapor to pass through, but for it to work it need the top hydrophobic layer to bead up and shed water. That hydrophobic needs to be cleaned periodically to work properly.

Non breathable fabrics also can benefit from having a hydrophobic top layer and some do. They will benefit from cleaning. A deteriorating hydrophobic layer can in many cases benefit from an application of a DWR treatment, but use caution with expensive breathable garments and follow manufacturer's advice. Nikwax is reccommended by many and I have had good luck with it.

Some garments are just coated nylon and not breathable cleaning may be good or bad for them. On one hand it is hard on the coating. On the other it helps get rid of body oils, sunscreen, and insect repellent. Trying to keep those off of them as much as possible and using Nikwax as seldom as possible is my solution.

DWR garments that are water repellant and not waterproof are also common. The repellency is reviveable with treatment. I have often used these in moderate weather. I got by in wet and pretty cold weather with insulation layers designed for kayaking.

I am not a fan of goretex et al. I don't find they keep me dry I find that I sweat enough to exceed their ability to pass vapor. If I need more than a water repellant wind shirt, I go coated nylon. Some people love goretex or other breathable fabrics so YMMV.

Oh, btw for goretex care info:
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/blog...-wash-gore-tex