View Single Post
Old 11-06-22, 11:53 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Lumbo-sacral fusions are a whole different thing. I have disease down there too and had an L3 disc rupture with a free fragment, which I wouldn’t wish on my second or third worst enemy. The same neurosurgeon who did my neck talked me out of surgery for that and I’m asymptomatic and happy nine years out.
I am with you on not wishing that on anybody. It was excruciating pain for months, a number of times. A neurosurgeon did 2 partial discectomy/laminectomy, 1999-2002, and thought I was an very good candidate for the artificial disc. He referred me to a Dr. McAfee at the Spine and Scoliosis center in Towson, MD. He is the orthopedic surgeon that did both the fusion and the disc replacement. There is no way I would have been able to continue cycling like I do if not for those procedures. I know, at least I believe, at some point, I will have to considerably reduce the time and miles, hopefully not totally give it up, preferably a good bit time down the road.