Old 11-06-22, 09:57 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Road worthy

Originally Posted by sd5782
Looks like your are close to roadworthy. Have you put any miles on it before the rehab? I find the ride quite nice. Comfortable yet sporty.
I only took it for a short ride before the rebuild, so I got a bit of a feel for the bike but there were some issues and I felt that I needed to get the bike right before a proper evaluation. Also, almost all the feedback on BikeForums is that the bike rides nicely. Heavy but a good frame. I have my temptations with removing the kickstand and replacing the one piece crank with a three piece, but I'm sticking with my plan.

You are correct. I am close. I went through the bike to correct the two problems I found with the test ride. In both cases it was parts flipped. Damn mechanic (that would be me).

I may take it for a ride one of these weekday nights with the DIY bullhorn bars. I am thinking that on the plus side of bullhorn bars is that the ones that are purpose made have better shapes than my DIY, no cost, lots of work solution.

While I was riding the bike today, I thought, that these bullhorns are just like the upper portion of dropped bars, if that is so, then what did I gain? I lost the lower portion of the bars which while I use it only 10% of time, but at least that option is there and I lost the classic look of a dropped bar bike. I have a pair of standard upright bars that I may try next. After that, I have a pair of Velo Orange Postino (upright) bars that were intended for the Lambert, but haven't gotten around to switching over yet.