View Single Post
Old 11-09-22, 12:48 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
RE: how differently people see MUPs, I believe it is a function of being myopic. They only have experience with what they know and aren’t willing to widen their perspective

I also find it interesting how people may just read OP post and then skip all the excellent arguments for or against which may show their is a huge gray area, and then matter of factly say the answer is black or white. Period. Can’t fix lazy or highly opinionated.

Getting back to that, I think my perspective that ebikes really aren't a problem on paths may stem from the fact that I avoid paths where I can't ride fast. On a relatively straight, flat and well-paved rail trail, you almost have to try to be nasty to other people on the path. Even at high speed, you can see them from far enough to keep out of each other's way. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen someone on an ebike posing any real problem on a rail trail. I have seen some hotshot wannabees do all kinds of close-passing and the like, sometimes of children, but fortunately, I only see that maybe 1-2 times per year, and it really stands out.

I had a really funny near miss last weekend when a woman with a huge leaf blower was working on the path. I slowed down to get around her and tried as best I could to announce my presence over the sound of the damn machine. I was passing behind her back, going pretty slow when I suddenly realized the machine was electric and there was a cord right in my path. She was emerged from a fairly wooded area, so it didn't even occur to me that there could be an outlet anywhere near her. I stopped with maybe about 2 inches to spare, both of us with really wide eyes at what almost happened. I honestly don't have any idea what she said to me, leaf blowers are really, really loud.