View Single Post
Old 11-11-22, 09:16 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
That is good news and must be something new. When I lived there, up to 2012, the stretch from Sullivan Square, through Charlestown and into N. Station was hell, on wheels. Lots of steel debris that flew or fell off of trucks of all shapes and sizes. "Mefa" roads were comparitively clean.
Oh, yeah, that's the thing. Main roads in somerville are still really bad. Somerville focuses way too much on street sweeping the little side streets and neglects main thoroughfares. It goes against what you'd think would be right, and I think it's just to get parking ticket revenue from hapless renters and workers in service vehicles who don't know the system.

Medford's approach makes more sense. They do a weekly sweep of the main arteries at night, May-Oct, and leave the side streets alone. Then all the residential side streets get swept twice a year to get rid of leaves and litter in fall, and traction sand from snow melt in spring.

I'm lucky enough to have a commute that's mainly on smaller residential streets.