Old 11-12-22, 11:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Reading through the responses, this is the best answer yet. I would not buy a bike I couldn't test ride first. It may be the best bike on paper, but what if she doesn't like the position or the way it rides?

I would have her take test rides on more than one bike so she can find exactly what she likes. Also, don't get too hung up on one brand. There are many great brands out there. Lastly, make sure the shop you buy from will put her and her new bike on a trainer, watch her pedal and make adjustments to dial in her fit just right. An ill fitting bike will cause her to lose interest. Don't make that mistake.
+1 a fit is very important. Now just slapping a bike on a trainer and doing a more static fit by a random employee is OK at best. Going to see an actual fitter who specializes in bike fits and does a proper dynamic fit like say Retül is going to really make a big impact to ANYONE who rides a bike aside from growing children and those who literally only ride once in a blue moon.

Most shop employees might know some bits and bobs about fit and can adjust the seatpost up and down and may even move a saddle but most of them will have not gone through school for fitting and sports medicine and stuff like that so relying on them for fitting is not ideal. I tell my customers I can get you sort of OK but a fitter will actually dial you in. I have some knowledge but not nearly enough knowledge to be a fitter.