View Single Post
Old 11-12-22, 06:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
It's definitely possible to build a DT shifter bike with wider gearing. For me, though, my DT shifter bikes are C&V, and the cranksets are all 130mm BCD, so I can't do chainrings smaller than 39 without changing to a different crankset, which doesn't fit with what I want the bikes to be (as close to original as possible). Similarly, at the back end, I could use a wider cassette, but then I'd have to use different derailleurs, which also doesn't fit with what I want. AND they've all got C&V brakes, which are not as good as dual pivots, so the fact that I can't do extended climbs also means I don't do long descents, so it all works out. I do have one with a 6sp 13-32 cassette, but I find I'm not really fond of the big jumps between cogs - I'm spoiled by 10 and 11 speeds!
I get it. A true classic and vintage bike is a different goal than just wanting a bike to ride and race on with DT shifters. It certainly is possible to get the same gearing and braking with DT shifters and brake levers as with more modern controls. Everything on the bike I have is early/mid 90s Campagnolo stuff on a mid-80s frame. Except for the crankset - I had to go a bit modern to when "compact" cranks were offered by Campy.

For low gears though, a C&V bike could have a triple and a relatively tight rear cluster, no? So hills wouldn't be an issue unless braking would be.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-12-22 at 06:32 PM.