Old 11-15-22, 07:34 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Gilles Berthoud - filled-brazed fast randonneuse

While I don't think this bike is terribly old - I'd guess 1990s or turn of the millennium? - it certainly has a 'classic' vibe.

I haven't been posting here in C&V much for a while, but thought folks here might appreciate this one!

The project of building this out to complete took me much longer than it should, as a series of (often expensive) miscues with planning and parts selection + myriad other competing priorities in the context of a worldwide pandemic delayed the journey that eventually brought me to the final build you see below.

Classic fillet-brazed steel frame built with unknown tubing, vertical dropouts finished in the 'fish-mouth' style, simple but elegant binder lug and fork crown. All details very nicely executed.

The steel rando rack came to me with the frame.

Campagnolo Centaur 11 silver group, Campy silver hubs, TA Carmina Compact crank, Nitto cockpit and cages - and, of course, Gilles Berthoud saddle (and XL rando bag in blue canvas / natural leather trim, not pictured).

I'll have to take some detail shots, but here's a quick snap from my very enjoyable first ride this afternoon:

IMG_1200 by Mike Mowbz, on Flickr

Last edited by mikemowbz; 11-15-22 at 07:37 PM.