Old 11-16-22, 04:18 AM
AvantGarden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
At Velotech Cycling Ltd, one of the two Campagnolo Service Centre in the UK, we have 3 Dogma 65.1s from 2010/11.
We havea 53, a 55 and a 57cm.

At various times we've test-assembled non-standard combinations to test them.

1st generation Chorus 11s doesn not allow 11-32 to work correctly on any of these three frames.

If you want it to work predictably and correctly, with currently-made components, you have two options.

To keep a full Chorus system, what you need is:

1.New chain (as you need a medium cage on the RD).
2. Chorus HO Medium cage RD
3. New RH lever body only, EC-RE300
We strongly advise Campagnolo inners and outers.

The HO medium cage RDs (2018) have a stiffer parallelogram and a re-designed upper pivot to cope with the strains a medium cage, cross-chained, on the largest sprocket.
This is different to the 2015 RDs which look outwardly similar - for good, reliable accurate function, the HO version of the RD is needed. These are currently available in the market.
You will need the new RH shifter body because the cable pull to derailleur movement ratio in post 2015 11s RDs is different to pre 2015.

There are some slight downsides, as the pre 2015 front derailleur wasn't designed for the chain to pass as "high" relative to the inner plate of the FD cage - it can rub when you are fully crossed. This is different to a fully in-spec assembly where normally all 11 sprockets are available from the big chainring without chain rub. Inner chainring function is usually fine.

We'd recommend a careful front mech set up and a chain catcher as the original, pre 2015 Chorus FDs were not designed to control the chain on a 16T "drop" at the front in combination with 11-32 at the rear.

We don't recommend that you just change the FD for a 2015 type because the LH shifter to suit it is different, with a different cable pull to FD movement ratio to the earlier type - you could change the LH shifter body as well, to compensate - but all of that adds costs for a relatively small functional gain.

The second option, is to use a Centuar based solution.

You cannot just fit a Centuar RD (as suggested elsewhere in the thread) as the cable pull ratio on Centuar 11s is only compatible with Centaur shifters. You can, of course, change the RH lever shifter body as well (as suggested for Chorus above - EC-CE600).

The downside with this is that you lose some function (Centaur 11 only has multiple shift to the bigger sprockets, it's one-sprocket-at-a-time towards the smaller sprockets and the aesthetics of the thumb lever are different.

As a third option, using (basically legacy) parts, you could also look for a Potenza medium cage RD and Potenza lever body (EC-PO400) but the RDs are no longer in production at the factory for normal sales (only for warranty) so there are afew in the market.
WOW M gfk_velo... What an analysis !
I took my Dogma to the local Campagnolo importer in Tel Aviv yesterday.

We were surprised to find that while I have a Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed (circa 2011) system, the rear wheel core and the cassette were ... Shimano ! Sorry for providing wrong info.
The technician put the following parts:

- Shimano Ultegra 11 speed 11-32 cassette
- Shimano Ultegra 11 speed new (a bit longer) chain
- Medium size Chorus 11 speed rear derailleur cage
- A new Chorus 11 front derailleur (apparently the chain guide was broken)

The Dogma now shift perfectly as it never did. At least to my humble opinion.
The question gfk_velo, is whether it is now a setup that you predict to work reliably for the long term ?
I also wonder if the broken chain guide was a fatigue issue related to bad adjustment or a more severe issue of none matching parts working together ...

Last edited by AvantGarden; 11-16-22 at 04:35 AM.