Old 11-20-22, 09:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I was lucky that I learned not to pass cars on the right at an intersection. I ran into the side of a car making a legal right turn and it was totally my fault. Luckily I wasn't going too fast so I was able to slow down and veer somewhat to the right to cause a slow, glancing collision. No significant damage to me, the car or my bike. The driver was upset, not because I was a bone-head, but because she thought she might have hurt me. I immediately realized i was at fault and apologized profusely and was quite shaken by what I understood could have been a very bad collision. Pure luck on my part that it wasn't a larger vehicle and that I didn't end up under the rear wheels of a bus or semi. I have great sympathy for people who make that mistake and get injured or killed. I have great sympathy for drivers of large vehicles trying to keep track of inexperienced and/or careless cyclists and are involved in a tragedy like this.

I have no sympathy for "coal rollers" and distracted drivers who injure or kill cyclists. Give them their day in court, yes, find out all the facts (not just internet discussion "facts"), but get them to that day in court, and if found guilty, give them appropriate punishment.