View Single Post
Old 11-20-22, 09:46 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 52 Posts
An update: I went on said ride, and I only consumed four energy gels. Instead of timing my pre-ride meal correctly, I ate a somewhat smaller high-carb meal a little too early, and then more a little too late. I just felt like I'd be force-feeding myself for the first 90 minutes or so, and after that, I was eating without feeling any particular need for more energy. I'm buying into the "if you feel hungry, it's already too late" argument here. The hip belt pockets on my backpack (with the water reservoir) turned out to be very functional for energy gels, partly due to location, and partly due to the zipper pull being easy to grab with gloves. Jersey pockets were basically inaccessible due to the jacket and backpack.

[Edit to add:] Apart from the rough start, this seems to have been a nutritionally successful ride. I ran down toward the end, but I have the sense that it was for other reasons than lack of energy.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Has the OP disclosed how far a 3.5 hr. ride is?
It ended up being 47.65 miles.

Originally Posted by big john
Why do some people hate stopping? I've never understood this, always enjoyed stopping to eat something on a longer ride.
If I stop for long, it ends up being some degree of excruciating to get going again. Subsequent comments about "café legs" or "lunch legs" are what I'm talking about. I guess if it was a ride where I wasn't really pushing myself hard ...

Originally Posted by t2p
have you tried some / more protein ... more balanced approach ?
I have, and it hasn't worked well for me. Because protein and fat slow down metabolic rate, I end up not being able to take advantage of the energy fast enough. Even oat/granola bars do this to me. Energy gels and stroopwaffles are the only things I've found so far that seem to hit my system right away.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
At this time, we don't know the terrain, distance, or intensity of the OP's rides, so pretty much impossible to give good advice on calories ingested.
Essentially flat, paved MUP, 47.65 miles, 686 feet of ascent. This basically represents a paced but otherwise high intensity for me, a recovering desk potato. No power meter, but Strava estimates 77w, 919 kJ for this ride. 77w is low for me, but most of my rides are in the 25-35 mile range.

Last edited by UnCruel; 11-20-22 at 09:59 PM.