View Single Post
Old 03-08-06, 06:54 PM
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a SRAM Spectro 7 and although nice I've had issues with the quality of the clickbox after removing it for one of the myriad of punctures (I count about 12) on my rear wheel in the last year. (What can I say but I have bad tyre karma)

Basically - there's a little thumbscrew on the clickbox that you tighten when the wheel is back on and in place over the hub axle to ensure everything stays securely put, but this screw tightens into a tiny little brass collar that is only held in to the plastic body of the clickbox by what looks like heat and friction at the time of manufacture. Over-tighten this once as I did and the ring comes away from the housing and means you can't tighten it, meaning you get stuck in a gear and can't shift anymore. Meaning you'll basically need to replace the whole shifting mechanism (For about £35 GBP; $65 USD?) unless you can source individual parts. Not ideal really!

I have mine kinda fixed temporarily McGyver style (until I can build my proper track fixie wheels) with some epoxy glue but it won't hold for long (it's already loose and I have another punture to fix in the meantime). So I guess I'm saying I like the SRAM as a hub but be careful with the click-box as it's hyper-fragile and doesn't take to be being taken on/off a lot. Which is crap when it has to come off for punctures.

Last edited by LittlePixel; 03-08-06 at 07:01 PM.