Old 11-22-22, 08:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
As mentioned, Servo-Wave is just Shimano’s way of changing the leverage ratio of the lever over the piston over the course of the stroke. It is not complicated, and not something you are paying extra for. In fact, I believe the XTRs are non-servo.

Some folks prefer it, some hate it, most people don’t think much one way or the other about it. I run bikes with servo and non servo levers. They feel different but you get used to either one. In general, Servo levers let you more easily deliver more power, but the brakes can seem a little more touchy (on/off).

I would not go out and do a Shigura setup from scratch. The main reason people end up there (and the reason I may) is they have bought Magura brakes and have gotten fed up with the levers which are absolute garbage. Cheap, fragile, plastic garbage. The lever blades are metal, but the bodies (including the threaded parts where the hose bolt, bleed port screw, and handle bar clamp screws go) is plastic. “Carbotecture” is just their word for plastic. And not plastic in some technical sense the way some folks argue CF can be called. Not some advanced NASA plastic. I’m talking the stuff you think of when someone says “plastic”. They are crap. And when I say “cheap” I mean they seem cheap. They are actually very expensive to replace.

Also, what do you mean when you say the brakes are shot? Have you tried bleeding them and cleaning up the pads and rotors? For most uses of a hard tail, 2 pots are more than sufficient.

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-22-22 at 08:53 AM.