View Single Post
Old 11-22-22, 02:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I wonder, since most (new) tires have a thicker tread than its sidewalls (for wear and puncture protection), would that not cause the tread to be slightly less flexible than the sidewalls, such that the circle is flatter or less curved at the top?
Yes, and no. Consider that the air is exerting a purely radial force on the tire, which produces tension in the wall fabric. So, while a thicker tread might be slightly resistant to flexing, it's also molded into a curve, so we're talking about tiny flex changes in the tread vs the high pressure within.

In any case, we always allow for differences between theory and reality, and only factor them if they're material. As a practical matter, the acceptance of a circular profile serves the purpose of allowing me to get a decent estimate of changes to width without needing CAD or an internet search.

It's also not purely about self reliance. I'm from the slide rule generation and still prefer to have an estimate of the answer as a reality check against the results of a "precise" calculation.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-22-22 at 02:15 PM.