View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 02:17 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Lovely looking minivelo build.
The wheels do look a bit fragile to me though..
The kinetix comp pro wheel is a genuine Dahon wheel as fitted on Speed TT, Mu SL, Mu EX, Hammer head and after the Dahon/Tern debacle, Tern got ownership of the trademark Kinetix and fitted these on Verge X18T.
Talking to the local dahon/tern dealer, he said that these wheel are fine (I rode dry gravel trail without problems). He said the only issue with them is when people fit 30c+ tyres (typically Kojak) and pump them up to 100psi... then the rime split but with Durano, they are fine. with kojak (35c), they shouldn't be pump up much higher than 60psi (manfacturer says 55 to 95). I run 60 front 65 rear.

On the tyre subject, I spoke with somebody interested in velomobile races and the German have performed some tests showing that the continental contact urban 32-406 is much faster than the kojak 35-406 due to lower rolling resistance. This is confirmed on Rolling Resistance.
Although the conti is 75g heavier, the weight penalty (~0.01W/tyre) is a good compromise compare to the 6w/tyre saving coming from the lower RR.
So, the bike will gain a little bit of weight and the rider is going on a diet