View Single Post
Old 11-27-22, 01:34 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 723 Posts
By now, you've probably figured out that the serial numbers aren't decodable the way you have decoded them. My guess is that E is for English, F is for French, and I is for Italian threading, and then the six digit numeric portion is just ordinal from first production. This checks out, because later frames with the grub screw seatpost all have higher numbers. Anyway, at this moment I think it is impossible to determine the year, but maybe with the compilation of a serial number database that will become easier.

The size of the frame is stamped on the left side of the headtube. I think I can see it in one of the pictures... 58? Worth noting that when you sell it. It is a good standard way of sizing Vitus 979 frames.

Is the seatpost clamp damaged? It doesn't really look like it. Or else why is the grub screw there? Just as an extra fail-safe so you don't have to tighten the clamp and risk damaging it? Do you know? Seatpost diameter should be 25.0, FYI. Measure or look for stamping on your post to make sure it's 25.0. My guess is it's right because there aren't a whole lot of common sizes under that.

I'd agree, $400-500 probably. These are still underappreciated bikes. But like eating a Reeses cup, there is no wrong way to build out a Vitus. It is a blank, '80s, weight-weenie canvas for you to explore your whimsy on.

I have spread 4 different Vitus 979 frames from 126 to 130 for the Cambridge Vitus Club. We like our freehubs. None of the frames have failed yet. Some have been in service doing regular rides for three or four years. Take from that what you will. I'm not going to tell you whether or not to do it. I've spread a lot of frames and I'm very careful. Vitus frames, I will only do with my bare hands, so I never overshoot the target width.