cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
No. See my response above.

2 Fat Bikes, 2 Mountain Bikes, 2 Road Bikes and a hybrid bike. I average about 4,000 miles/per year between my two mountain bikes, fat bike and my road bike. The other fat bike, road bike and hybrid bike are the girls and she averages about 2000 miles/ year. I have yet to change any cables/housing on any of the bikes.

My 2016 hardtail has a Shimano 11 speed setup. SLX shifter and XT derailleur. Still using the same cable and housing that came on the bike in 2016. If you are chewing through RD cables more than once a year I'm thinking you don't have something set up properly. Sounds like the cable housing bends are too tight.
Cables breaking in Shimano road shifters has been happening ever since STI came on the market, so over 30 years. It has absolutely nothing to do w/ 'housing bends being too tight'. It has everything to do with how tightly the cable has to bend inside the shifter. Seems like you are blissfully ignorant of the problem, which is fine. Just don't deny that it happens and that regular cable/housing changes doesn't result in better overall shifting performance.
Likes For cxwrench: