Old 11-29-22, 05:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the problem in me discussing this with most of the people here, is that they have never ridden on steel rims. The changes have been incremental, and a lot of the stuff you've read online about it has been comparisons between wheel sets with little tiny differences in weight. Thus it's not unusual at all for me to have people saying stuff like this to me.

Like I don't understand the physics or the numbers. I try not to personalize it, but it's very hurtful. Bicycling does not happen under laboratory conditions, there are uphills, and wind, and **** like that, which mean that on any given 112 mile ride, you will be compelled to bring those wheels up to speed more than a few times. Were your statement true in the case of bicycle wheels, someone at R+D would be working on the steel, deep dish, aero rim even as I type this. They would be very fast downhill.
This is laughable, really. Sounds like you enjoy playing the victim. There is a much bigger weight savings going from an old set of wheels with steel rims to modern alloy wheels in the 1600-1800g range than going from modern alloy wheels in the1600-1800g range to 1400g carbon wheels. I call false equivalency.

And wheels are not pizza. They are deep section rims, not deep dish rims.