bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by Roypercy
Thanks for the replies, everybody!

Well, this is a new wrinkle. I asked the seller what brand the derailleurs were; he sent me these pics. It's a modern Shimano Altus. So this is definitely a Frankenbike build. But can anybody tell anything about the dropouts from these pics?

I know the easiest solution is to go check the bike out, but it's a bit of a hike for me and I'd rather not waste my time or the seller's if I can help it.

Now that I look a little closer, is that rust I see on the rims? It's suggesting to me that the only good part of this bike might be the frame.

Looks like a Suntour dropout to me, based on the dogleg bend in the upper part, that puts the seatstay connection further from the chain. I have a vague recollection that the Grand Jubile went to a Suntour dropout after they gave up on the Huret dropouts, what would that be, '76 maybe? I sold Motobecanes up to about '75 but not after that, so I'm weak on the "newer" models (plus my memory isn't how I remember it!)

The dogleg Suntour isn't my cuppa, aesthetically, but it is a practical design. Nothing wrong with it, the added chain clearance helps, and they never break there, so why not?

There might be rust stains on the rim, but it isn't the rim rusting, that's a Weinmann concave aluminum rim. Never used them myself but they have a decent reputation, for that period. A little heavy, and maybe a little hard to mount tires on is what I've heard, but plenty strong and a nice tall brake track.