Old 12-14-22, 10:51 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I've run across two bikes with chainstay mounted derailleurs. Here's my Peugeot PH-60:

Simplex derailleur with single cable and spring return

This is a different design than Nivex, but all of that chain wraparound makes it a pain in the rear to take the rear wheel on and off.

And if you think that was different, here's a SunTour S-1 derailleur bit brazed onto a chainstay for @rhm

Lookit that DIY jig I made! It's actually pretty accurate, I used my flat table to check parallelism and met the spec'ed offset from the dropout.

SunTour realized that wheel removal would be an issue, so they included this little piece to hang your chain on when removing the rear wheel:

Bolts onto the old derailleur hanger. Yes, I modified the position this, but that's another story.

Price is high due to very low volume. If Jan could sell 10's of thousands of these it would be a quarter of less of the cost.

I think the biggest issue is needing to modify a frame to bolt it on. If you dig a bit deeper you'll find a $139 jig to accurately place the attachment bit. I couldn't find any spec's for the location to make my own, so one is stuck with having to purchase the jig.

Just noticed that the pullies appear to be 3D printed - if you look closely you'll see what looks like "sedimentary" layers, typical for the layer by layer 3D printing process.

If Jan had enough "mad money" for this passion project, it could be worth it as a marketing ploy. It's his business. And right now his initial run appears to be sold out. I have no idea how many he sold, or what his break even point is.
Very noteworthy in the above post is the creation of a fixture to position the chainstay mount point. Jan's effort goes a bit farther and really requires a special dropout... visions of something equal but different to the Campagnolo Cambio Corsa dropout alignment tools.
once one has the parts in hand, there will be work to get them into position