Old 12-22-22, 09:14 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I ride with a mirror and Varia radar. The Varia is a relatively new addition. I find the mirror absolutely critical for me. I simply do not have the flexibility to rotate my head around and my ability to hold a line and turn my body is not that great. Also, I can glance in a mirror with much less effort and much faster than turning my head or body.

Just as in a car, having situational awareness from all sides is helpful. Will a mirror or radar allow me to dive for the ditch at the last moment if a car suddenly veers towards me? Of course not. But with a mirror, I can certainly see that a car has made an effort to move to the other lane or at least pulled further away. This is a clear sign that they have seen me. They almost always do this well before getting near me, giving me plenty of time to move as far to the side as possible if needed.

Since I use a mirror, the radar isn't nearly as important to me. But it occasionally brings my attention to a vehicle before I check my mirror. It's very much an unconscious thing now. I think the Varia radar is most useful to those that don't use a mirror. It gives them some idea that something is coming up on them.
The real knock against a mirror is the dork factor. It's high. But most people who don't ride with a mirror underestimate the usefulness of it. I've been riding with one for the last eight years, and I couldn't imagine riding without one for just the reason you stated--that it gives me a more complete, real picture of the cars behind me. Is that useful in avoiding a rear ender? I don't know. Maybe. If there is a 1% chance it could help me evade a collision, I'll take it.

Mirror also very useful in getting into left turn lane, as well as avoid being right hooked by vehicles coming up from behind you trying to make right turn.
Likes For mcours2006: