Thread: Favorite Tool
View Single Post
Old 12-26-22, 09:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
A bench vise is the best way to hold a freewheel tool while turning the tire/rim to remove the FW. Max leverage (especially if one places their hip against the bench), max control and one can have a friend to grab two more points about the rim to better even out the twisting forces. Is a vise a needed maintenance tool? No but then solvent is also not needed, just use an excess of oil to do the same flushing out of stuff. No repair stand is needed either. No truing stand. No compressor.

While some of the above is with tongue in cheek when I started out at JC Pennys (1973) I had a 6' adjustable wrench and a flat blade screwdriver in my pant pocket pretty much all the time. But soon some bikes were coming with those new fangles hex wrench socket headed fasteners and I had to add a couple of these wrenches to my pockets. And the race to lots of tools began. Andy