View Single Post
Old 12-30-22, 11:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5111 Post(s)
Liked 8,440 Times in 3,984 Posts
I've been chasing a creaking noise in the rear wheel of my road bike for a long time. It's definitely something in the rear hub area (Powertap hub, Enve 3.4 wheel). It's not the cassette. It's not the freehub pawls. It's not the spokes. I found some discussion about the Powertap hub and people commented about issues with the outboard freehub bearing going bad. I have purchased a pair of freehub bearings and bearing press tool, and will be attempting to do the replacement tomorrow (there's a good YouTube video for a guide). I would replace the hub bearings, too, but I found some comments that removal of those bearings by a home mechanic can damage the torque tube that is the critical piece for power measurement, and is best left for factory service. If the freehub bearing replacement doesn't fix the issue, I may look at making the move to a new wheelset I like the Powertap hub, but I am also coming to an understanding of why it has disappeared from the market.