Old 01-02-23, 11:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've used beta alanine and a few other supplements on and off for a few years. Can't say I notice any difference. After this batch runs out I probably won't buy it again.

Stuff that actually does seem to work for me, in terms of the exercise I prefer (cycling, running 3-10 miles a few times a week):
Good diet
  • Plenty of rest
  • Caffeine
  • Whey protein with amino acids (including beta alanine) and creatine. Just more convenient than taking a bunch of separate supplements. Nothing expensive, whey is a byproduct and shouldn't cost much. I buy whatever's on sale.
  • DHEA (inexpensive, easy to determine within a day or three whether there's any effect)
  • Beta ecdysterone (although supply, quality and price are erratic, and I haven't purchased any for a few months)

Stuff that had no consistent effect, or any apparent effect at all:
Pretty much everything you can name. I've tried almost everything at least once. Most recently HMB. Had high hopes but after two courses from different sources I can't say I noticed anything.

It's possible my diet alone provides enough of the essential nutrients supplied by some supplements anyway. After trying a year on a vegetarian diet in 2018 I've been back on meat and animal proteins and feel much better. I probably don't get much benefit from supplemental creatine since it's already in red meat. If I lifted weights I might benefit from extra creatine. But I do only body weight exercises, mostly multiple reps rather than single effort power lifts. I *think* creatine seems to help on short duration max efforts, such as short hill climbs or sprints, stuff that's over with in 30-60 seconds. But at my age I'm seeing diminishing returns every few months. Gains are extremely unlikely without serious PEDs.

Oh, and gabapentin and alpha lipoic acid, recommended by several folks for chronic nerve pain related to cervical spine stenosis. My condition is way beyond the dubious effects of expensive placebos. At a minimum it takes ibuprofen, although I can't take it very often. At this point the only thing that will help is surgery, or a subdural injection of anti-inflammatory or other agent to basically numb the pain nerves.