View Single Post
Old 01-08-23, 01:52 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Not sure as it can vary but more to the point are you the original owner and do you happen to have your receipt or can reach out to the shop and see if they have it you can file a claim. If you go to your local Specialized dealer they can help filing a crash replacement which can get you a discount on a new frame unfortunately they have stopped making the Langster a while back (my warranty replacement after a bottom bracket crack was one of the last remaining ones and I got lucky as it was the Rio edition) however you could put it towards something else in the line up. They can also look at the frame and help determine the viability of the frame in their eyes.

Like others have said it could last and be fine or it could fail. It is up to you if you want to take that risk or not, nobody else could make that decision for you.
Crash replacement discounts are nice, but since it's a 2004, Specialized is not going to have a rim brake frame to offer him. Which means that he'll need to buy - at a minimum - new wheels and calipers just to get a crummy mechanical disc set up.

Every time I went through this with a customer they usually just took the discount on a new disc bike and maybe replaced the old frame because they had all those rim brake parts. And that was with actually trashed frames - not little scrapes that might amount to nothing.

Keep in mind that most manufacturers are perfectly happy drilling holes in their aluminum tubes for cable stop rivets and bottle cage rivnuts. You have to remove an lot of material before a homogenous metal like aluminum becomes so weak that it begins flexing and stress hardening.
Likes For Kontact: