Old 01-10-23, 04:18 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Wow... lots of shaming of rim brake proponents here. Not a very inclusive discussion.

Rim brake proponents are being called out for being:
  • Luddites (anti-tech)
  • Inexperienced (with new tech)
  • C&V fans (worst than Luddites)
  • Conspiracy theorists (stick it to the man!)
  • Delusional
  • Etc.
However, the best rim brake proponents (me and Chris Froome) want rim-brake tech because it is simply better, regardless of cost:
  • It is a lot lighter, particularly due to the frame and fork design that doesn't have to support disc-brake forces
  • The wheels are lighter, due to not having to deal with greater braking forces.
  • The rim-brake forks are more compliant, due to not having to be bulked up for disc braking forces
  • Rim brake wheels are more aero
  • Rim brakes don't slice you or your pals in a crash
  • Rim brakes are cheaper and a lot easier to work on.
So there you go. Yes, I have a high-end road bike with discs. It is a boat anchor compared to the same rim brake bike but 2 years older. I work on discs almost every time I'm in the shop. I have $15k to spend on a new bike; going rim brake with Di2 Dura-Ace. Got all the parts I need, except the frame.
Don't forget they are being called old and fossils too. Some people just cannot believe that someone may like a particular bike. The brakes are secondary. Does it stop? Yes. Okay then.
Likes For phughes: