View Single Post
Old 01-18-23, 10:42 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Coaster brakes take me back to my youth when my bike was a hand-me-down, bronze-colored affair. I think it was probably a Western Flyer, but won't swear to it. It had a banana seat and a coaster brake. No hand brakes at all. From what I remember it stopped on a dime and never gave me any problems. I remember having to replace the front tire once and maybe a tube along the way. Other than that, maintenance was non-existent. Not proud of that, just stating facts. The bike refused to die and I rode it literally every day for some time.

I have a somewhat vague goal of someday building a single speed with a coaster brake. Not sure what bars I'll use, but probably moustache or something which keeps me more upright than standard drops. And I will have at least a front brake "just in case" I'm sure. Don't have a timeline, but it will likely happen. Or not, and that's OK too, I have plenty of other options. But part of me wants to try a coaster brake again. For nostalgia if nothing else. Velomine used to sell a decent wheelset for cheap that featured a rear coaster brake hub. I'll probably go that route if I do it.
Likes For TugaDude: