Old 01-19-23, 11:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I agree that all my bikes feel subtly different to ride. What I can't get past regarding the idea of tube thickness as a significant contributor to variations in vertical compliance is the array of data from measurements of steel, aluminum, and carbon frames. If the measurements show no significant differences among frames built with those very different materials, how can something like tube wall thickness be a factor in vertical compliance? Maybe we're responding to something other than, e.g., differences in tube wall thickness, etc. (such as geometry and bike weight), and mistaking the effects of those factors for differences in vertical compliance.
I'm not sure about whether it's wall thickness or diameter which has the most profound effect on the way a frame feels. Probably a combination of those things, the alloy that is used, and the geometry.
I agree that the differences between most frames will be subtle with some outliers. Whenever there is a frame material thread someone will say a certain material rides a certain way. Obviously there is more to it than material. My Seven is stiff, a very similar ride to my old CAAD5 but I rode my friend's Moots Vamoots and (also titanium) it felt like a spring compared to my bike.
I'm reminded of a thread some years ago where a bf member bought a custom Eriksen ti frame and he hated it. He tried to get them to buy it back and he railed against Eriksen on the forum about how awful it rode.
Likes For big john: