Old 01-26-23, 08:15 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Here's the John Hopkins on lumbar stenosis: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...pinal-stenosis

Mine was diagnosed maybe 15 years ago with an MRI. No cure of course, but there's treatment. All I can relate is what I've done. Whether that's been effective could be totally personal, but I'll relate anyway.

1) I've been taking glucosamine sulfate, 750mg/day, for 40 years. Glucosamine hydrochloride does nothing as has been proven by many studies. So it might be just the sulfur, who knows? Seems to work, anyway. For the past maybe 20 years, I've also taken MSM, also containing sulfur. I've taken to capping it myself to save money so don't know the exact dose, 1 00 cap/day, anyway

2) Stretching, these stretches every morning: IT Band pain (during ride) Then I do a plank as long as I can, and then as many pushups as I can do, 1 set.

3) Walking. I use a slightly weird gait, where I rotate each hip in a circular fashion, walking as fast as I can with long strides, say 3 miles. This moves my lumbar spine around, avoids sciatica. Not every day, once or twice a week.

4) Gym. I started a strength training thread several years ago. scattered through it are PDFs of the periodized routines my wife and I still use: Introduction to strength training for the endurance athlete
Unfortunately, the powers that be here decided that PDF files can no longer be attached, so none of those PDF links work. If anyone's interested, I could email them the PDFs as attachments. Really too bad that they did that. So PM me with your email if you're interested.

Anyway, my back is just fine today, didn't deteriorate, got better in fact, so this worked for me.
yes, pdf to dnvrfox@aol.com. How long do you hold your plank? I do between 90 and 150 seconds, and about 20 push-ups that are not in perfect form, but I do lots of other stuff. Thanks for the PDF, hope they come through. Denver