Old 01-28-23, 01:00 PM
zedda

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
BB spindles with longer non-drive side

Hello,

Recently I went to restore my old road bike which dates from the middle 90's. By life circumstances I almost never drove any bike in the last 20 years, since I suffered an accident - I was mostly fine after that but it cooled me off from biking - I did occasionally drive something in between, perhaps a couple of times a yer, but I never cared to restore that bike.

Anyhow, since I see that all or almost all of the standards from back then were pretty much changed to something new (and mostly worse than the old, well proven standard), I decided to stock up some NOS or new but still available quality spare parts in sufficient quantities to last me to the end of my biking path - I reckon it's still easier to do it now than in the future when it likely gets yet harder to find such.

I bought a few NOS and newer BB's (four-sided spindle) from what I could get of the higher quality ones - not all of them are the same spindle length. what I noticed is that a few of them have a longer non-drive side (spindle lengths on those are 110 and 113) of the spindle than the drive side, and...call me stupid, but I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It seems logical to me that either the drive side is longer (to account for various cranks and required chainline), or the sides are somehow simmetrical. Bot what the heck do you get with the longer non-drive side?? Is there a reasoning behind?

Speaking of which, since I use Italian threads, I have a question: what happens if I would reverse sides of the whole BB when installing it? Since Italian which I use has both right-sided thread cups, it's possible to do this. But is there some downside to this if I do it, from the BB construction perspective?

Please give me your thoughts.