View Single Post
Old 01-28-23, 11:56 PM
urbanescapee

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Sojourn, 2012 Marin Four Corners, 2013 Soma Saga, 2014 Scott Spark 940, 2017 Brompton H6E, 2016 Trek FX 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mask for pollution

I’ve got a new job in a heavy industrial area of Salt Lake City. Cycling to work is an essential part of my excercise routine. Though I’m finding, through biking into this part of the city, that the air is exceptionally dirty. Even when we aren’t dealing with inversions, the air at the ground level in the industrial area is full of road dust which has god knows what in it.

So I’m looking into solutions for cleaning up the air I’m breathing. I’m gonna get a filter for my desk, but I need something for the ride to/from work. I have N95’s but I have a hard time breathing through those when I’m just doing low cardio work around the house. I can’t imagine trying to bike with an N95 on.

I’ve come across the Respro brand. That seems like the big player in the mask-for-athletic-use space. Does anyone have experience with these or any other masks? I’m trying to avoid spending $50 on a respro mask if they’re basically the same flow rate of any other construction type N95. The stuff I’m trying to protect against is pretty nasty and I’m already a mild asthma case, so I’m not okay with just a cloth buff or a bandana. I need a high-flow solution that actually removes fine particles. Please share your saga on finding a suitable with mask for biking in heavy pollution! Bonus points if said solution works well with glasses.

Thanks!

Last edited by urbanescapee; 01-29-23 at 12:01 AM.