Thread: 1974 Legnano
View Single Post
Old 02-02-23, 11:10 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 84 Posts
I'd value the frame under $50. We price most bike frames at $20 at our local bike coop. Some get priced higher, like any 531 frame or a real BMX frame. The parts are worth more if one takes the time to clean them properly.

Old wheels are practically free so replacing the front wheel is worth it.

It looks like someone cut the spokes on purpose so the rim is probably okay. 8 or 10 spokes, easy to replace and true up yourself. Only tools need are tire levers and a $6 spoke wrench.

My sister in law gave me her 1971 Gitane Tour De France that was repainted and rebuilt in 1977. Campy ders, Stronglight crank, Tipo hubs, Ideal seat, Dura Ace headset. It's getting parted out. The frame will most likely go to the local coop, marked at $40 (the fork steerer is a bit lumpy). I saw a nearly identical frame with original paint that didn't sell for $95 at the Madison swap meet last week.

As stated above: Repaint destroys value. Is the bike even a Legnano? Anyone can put any decal on any bike.

If you have developed any artistic paint skills, consider some special paint job instead of trying to go original. Maybe some kids can help with that. Make it a family project.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 02-02-23 at 11:33 PM.