Old 02-03-23, 04:11 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If that were so great, people would still be doing it, because they'd be winning over other riders who weren't. Think of racing as analogous to Natural Selection - that which gives advantage is propagated and overtakes the less advantageous. Also, looking at those guys in the Moser position makes my inflexible back ache. I have always been so inflexible that I cannot get closer than about mid-calf when trying to touch my toes. So I ride with a straight back and roll my pelvis. I can't do closed hip angle.

In a way, it reminds me of a recurring discussion I have with my wife. She's fascinated by the disinfectant properties of things like vinegar, which she reads our ancestors used to use for cleaning. I point out that 1) vinegar is a relatively poor disinfectant, 2) those ancestors didn't even have Germ Theory yet, and 3) infectious disease was one of the most popular ways to die back then. So, adopting the disinfectant of people who largely died of infectious disease may not be the wisest move.
I am trying to argue against the evolutionary model.

I am not sure how disinfectant strengths are measured (mg per kg to kill all X in Y time?) (paper, paper) but there are clearly stronger disinfectants than vinegar.

However, there are some situations, such as when the taste of the thing disinfected matters or when skin is involved and too much strength can be non-optimal, when I might use vinegar.

The cycling industry would have us believe one style (the pro style) of glasses, stem,or pedalling fits all, when there are many cyclists in many situations.