View Single Post
Old 02-03-23, 08:30 PM
sbarner 
Paramount Fan

Bikes: Paramounts, Raleigh Pros, Colnago, DeRosa, Gios, Masis, Pinarello, R. Sachs, Look, D. Moulton, Witcomb, Motobecane, Bianchis, Fat City, Frejus, Follis, Waterford, Litespeed, d'Autremont, others, mostly '70s-'80s

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 239 Times in 133 Posts
That PX 10 looks like it is in very nice shape, so I imagine the polished crank looks very nice on it. Switching to clinchers pretty much freed you from trying to keep it 'correct.' My '74 is better than 'decent', but not 'pristine' and I think it looks better with the natural aged look of its 93. If the crank was scratched or oxidized, I would definitely polish it up, as Stronglight cranks from that era were about the easiest ones ever to do it on. I don't know how they got the shiny finish on them at the factory, but, in spite of not being anodized, they seemed to age gracefully if not abused. It I were mounting a 93 on a bike that was not originally speced with one, or doing an over-restoration (as most complete restos seem to be these days) I would definitely polish it up, just to get that amazing bling factor on the cheap.

Kudos for keeping that 45t inner ring. These bikes were made to inflict pain on their rider.