View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 11:47 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
So the current brake lever has a recess for the head of the bolt. Probably a socket head (allen wrench) bolt. If one wants to reverse directions of the bolt and nut so that a nut goes into the recess, one can
1) Put a long bolt through the frame in the opposite direction of the original bolt. This essentially leaves a stud sticking out of the frame. Put the bolt levers, spacers, and washers on as originally constructed. One is then left with a need for a nut that fits in the recess. One could use a socket head nut, but this would require some pretty exact setup of the bolt length. Or, one could use a nut like I pictured. The shoulder goes into the recess leaving the nut hex exposed for tightening.

I would add that I don't recommend this as the original design using a socket head cap screw (SCHS, aka an allen bolt) is probably stronger than the modified setup.

Going back to a question asked earlier, why is this change being contemplated?
Assuming that you didn't mean "brake lever", I'm still not following how you would use these nuts in frame holes that are no larger than the bolt diameter.. Which "recess" are you talking about?