View Single Post
Old 02-07-23, 07:46 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Move often, and to a smaller and smaller place each time. Bonus points if customs and oceanic boat trips are involved each time.

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff that I was briefly upset about and soon regretted, but never replaced... I had a Feedback Sports repair stand that I really liked. I took it with me to Sweden in the original bag, as the forwarder in that move would allow that as an item to be put into my "giant box on a pallet," all paid by the new employer. Upon returning to the USA, the procedure was different, at my expense, and I didn't have a spare telescope or golf club box when the forwarder told me they'd only take things in sealed cardboard boxes. I tried to sell it, but ended up leaving it with my neighbors.

Domestic moves are great opportunities, too. Digitize anything that can be digitized. A few weeks before I moved to Sweden, I got a bunch of beers and my music collection, and got out my laptop with a CD drive to put all those cherished treasures in a smaller, lightweight footprint I could listen to on my phone.